Stories Archive
    Recommend Us
    Feedback
    FAQ
    Docs
    ShoutBox2
Shoutbox   

Shout History
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
http://www.thegrumpyoldgits.co.uk Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Kerching..... News and Events Darrenbf 1 Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:10 pm
SLEDGE_HAMMER View latest post
FIFA gamer signed by Wolfsburg Other Games SLEDGE_HAMMER 0 Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:31 am
Lemmy in a milk advert Bored? Fun Links! SLEDGE_HAMMER 0 Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:52 pm
Merry Christmas ToGs! General Chat SLEDGE_HAMMER 5 Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:11 am
Blunt View latest post
Dick of the Week Bored? Fun Links! SLEDGE_HAMMER 18 Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:38 pm
MrBlack View latest post
Branching out General Chat Grekk 8 Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:25 pm
ToGDMB View latest post

Came home last night to a broken TV...

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    http://www.thegrumpyoldgits.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBlack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:58 pm Post subject: No icon Came home last night to a broken TV... Reply with quote

Afternoon Gents,

Thought I would make a little post of my TV mission. I came home from work last night, went to turn on the TV and was greeted with the most random clicking noise and a TV that refused to turn on. After we took a beating last night on CS:GO I decided to investigate and see what was wrong with it. Here is a little video of the clicking noise:

Link

Off with the back and the clicking what I first thought was a relay, was actually the main board powering up and instantly back down constantly. So off with the power supply board and a few of the capacitors that are used are known for failing, after having a chat with a few people I was told to replace any 10v caps that I could find, sure enough there were 4x 2200uF 10v caps on the board all looking a little bulged as well as one 1800uf 25v cap that lokked a bit bulged as well.

Here is the board out and ready to go:

Caps all changed:

Today I stopped by maplin to get some replacement caps, would you believe it, I needed 4 of the bastads and each store only stocks 2 so a couple of trips later and I am home with what I need.

10 mins of soldering and as cold would say, b0sh... Job done :)

Link
ToGDMB

votes: 1
england.png

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:46 am Post subject: No icon Re: Came home last night to a broken TV... Reply with quote

Nice one m8 Very Happy   How old is the TV if I may ask?

DMB
MrBlack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:28 am Post subject: No icon Re: Came home last night to a broken TV... Reply with quote

ToGDMB wrote (View Post):
Nice one m8 Very Happy   How old is the TV if I may ask?

DMB

About 5 or 6 years old. It seems to be a common fault among pretty much all LCD's. It happened to badgers Samsung lcd monitor some time back and we applied the same fix to that.
Sponsor
Darrenbf

blank.png

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:36 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Came home last night to a broken TV... Reply with quote

Had the same issue with a Panasonic Plasma - replaced with a Samsung 55" LED as it was old.

Still have the plasma just not got around to sorting the board out. Once the garage is tidy it's one of a number of little jobs to do.

Away put your weapon, or I will help you not
Smoggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

blank.png

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:07 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Came home last night to a broken TV... Reply with quote

Looks like I will have to do the same with my monitor.

When I get time.

MrBlack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:58 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Came home last night to a broken TV... Reply with quote

Get on it then lads, nothing is better than fixing something yourself for pence. It only took an hour as well.
Sponsor
Darrenbf

blank.png

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:07 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Came home last night to a broken TV... Reply with quote

Some of us need to sleep at night and thus don't have as much time to do things............  Smile

Away put your weapon, or I will help you not
MrBlack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:50 am Post subject: No icon Re: Came home last night to a broken TV... Reply with quote

Darrenbf wrote (View Post):
Some of us need to sleep at night and thus don't have as much time to do things............  Smile

Sleep? What is this sleep that you speak of? Sleep is for girls, time to man up Smile
ToGDMB

england.png

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:53 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Came home last night to a broken TV... Reply with quote

I'll have you know young man that some of us senior ToGs need an afternoon power snooze after a hard morning playing bowls and a pub lunch Laughing

DMB
Sponsor
MrBlack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:49 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Came home last night to a broken TV... Reply with quote

ToGDMB wrote (View Post):
I'll have you know young man that some of us senior ToGs need an afternoon power snooze after a hard morning playing bowls and a pub lunch Laughing

DMB

That sounds like the hard life to me right there. I did offer smog a fixing service if he ships me his power board. This is of course an offer open to other Togs!
SLEDGE_HAMMER

Reputation: 36.9Reputation: 36.9Reputation: 36.9Reputation: 36.9
uk.png

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:46 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Came home last night to a broken TV... Reply with quote

Nice work, Mr. Black! Hope you didn't drop solder on the carpet like I usually do  Razz

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing"
cold

votes: 2
uk.png

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:20 am Post subject: No icon Re: Came home last night to a broken TV... Reply with quote

just buy a new one u tight nuts....ffs it not like any are from the land of the Kenneth

...and why not?
Sponsor
ToGDMB

england.png

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:52 am Post subject: No icon Re: Came home last night to a broken TV... Reply with quote

You've  got to take it to bits to see how it works...it's a bloke thing...and see if you can mend it.  If it's too difficult to mend, you put in your man cave and say.  ."that'll come in handy some day"...probably in your shed with the pigeons....

Very Happy

DMB
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://www.thegrumpyoldgits.co.uk Forum Index ->  General Chat All times are UTC
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: