Stories Archive
    Recommend Us
    Feedback
    FAQ
    Docs
    ShoutBox2
Shoutbox   

Shout History
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
http://www.thegrumpyoldgits.co.uk Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Kerching..... News and Events Darrenbf 1 Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:10 pm
SLEDGE_HAMMER View latest post
FIFA gamer signed by Wolfsburg Other Games SLEDGE_HAMMER 0 Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:31 am
Lemmy in a milk advert Bored? Fun Links! SLEDGE_HAMMER 0 Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:52 pm
Merry Christmas ToGs! General Chat SLEDGE_HAMMER 5 Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:11 am
Blunt View latest post
Dick of the Week Bored? Fun Links! SLEDGE_HAMMER 18 Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:38 pm
MrBlack View latest post
Branching out General Chat Grekk 8 Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:25 pm
ToGDMB View latest post

Happy Birthday Windows '95

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    http://www.thegrumpyoldgits.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToGDMB

votes: 1
england.png

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:23 pm Post subject: No icon Happy Birthday Windows '95 Reply with quote

Happy Birthday Win '95.  Aaaah, I remember nostalgia.

Post up details of your Win95 rigs  and your rigs now.  I expect some readers were just a twinkle in Daddies eye back then....except for the Grumpies of course Laughing

I've still got my old 16 bit Packard Bell which I bought I'm 1993.  It had Windows 3.1 on it and I upgraded the hardware to the newer Win 95 specs.

Windows 95 launch

DMB
SLEDGE_HAMMER

Reputation: 36.9Reputation: 36.9Reputation: 36.9Reputation: 36.9
uk.png

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:57 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Happy Birthday Windows '95 Reply with quote

No pics, I'm afraid, but it was a 486 cpu with a 400Mb hard drive, I gave a bloke at work a couple of bottles of wine for it and he threw in a crt monitor. I used to envy my mate's pentium 'cos it could run cs 1.6, on dial-up of course.
Nowadays it's an i3 3240 with a crucial mx100 SSD, 6850 GPU and 8 gigs of ram. But am I really happier?
Yes, of course I am. That old computer was a load of ****.   Very Happy

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing"
Darrenbf

blank.png

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:22 am Post subject: No icon Re: Happy Birthday Windows '95 Reply with quote

No pics of my old PC (no such thing as digital cameras then!) but I remember paying about £1,200 for it, similar spec to Sledge's - madness.... It was on dial up and was considered an upgrade to the spectrum (rubber keys of course) although it wasn't that much of an improvement.
Now I have an i5 4690 with a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250Gb, 16Gb RAM, AMD Radeon 7800 GPU - I am much happier Smile

Away put your weapon, or I will help you not
Sponsor
Darrenbf

blank.png

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:23 am Post subject: No icon Re: Happy Birthday Windows '95 Reply with quote

No pics of my old PC (no such thing as digital cameras then!) but I remember paying about £1,200 for it, similar spec to Sledge's - madness.... It was on dial up and was considered an upgrade to the spectrum (rubber keys of course) although it wasn't that much of an improvement.
Now I have an i5 4690 with a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250Gb, 16Gb RAM, AMD Radeon 7800 GPU - I am much happier Smile

MrBlack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:20 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Happy Birthday Windows '95 Reply with quote

My first machine was win 95, it was a pentium 90 if I remember correctly so 90mhz of pure grunt. Since then I have owned a whole host of machines processor wise, well... i've been through loads. Time for a list i feel:

p90, p266, amd k6-2 500, pentuim 3 800, amd athlon xp 1500+, 1700+, 1900+, 2200+, 2500+, M 2500+, 3200+, Intel E2200, intel q6600, AMD Phenom 2 x6 1090T BE.

Most recent machine which tbh I want to upgrade again soon is:

Asus M5A99X Evo, Phenom 2 x6 1090T, 16gb Corsair Vengence, Msi Radeon 280x Gaming, 2x128gb ssd Raid 0, 3x samsung spinpoint f1 1tb Raid 5.

The problem I have right now is that there isn't really an upgrade out there that is worth doing, yes I could go for Intels X99 platform but lets be honest it's a really expensive option. Nothing in AMD's lineup offers all that much performance gain over my current chip either so that leaves me looking at AMD's roadmap for 2016 and ZEN which so far is shaping up to be something that might interest me. A new socket, new ddr4 platform and chipsets, best of all it's set to be on a FinFET design and offer 40% IPC boost over their yet to be released Excavator core.

Q2 2016 should be interesting in terms of gfx cards as well, since the 20nm node failed at TSMMC the gfx market is stale as well. Yes we have had minor improvements from new arch's on 28nm but nothing like the WOW moments you used to get and what can only really be considered marginal increases, that should all change in 2016 as we should have a 16nm FinFET node at TSMC as well as at Globalfoundries, smaller node means more transistors which should equate to sizable performance increases.  

So it looks like 2016 is the year, If it pans out I will most likely end up building a watercooled monster around ZEN and whatever gfx card takes my fancy at the time. Now all I need to do is find a case, most of the builds I have ever done have been in my now 13 year old coolermaster ATC 220 and I think its time for a change but they just don't build classy cases like they used to.
Darrenbf

blank.png

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:41 am Post subject: No icon Re: Happy Birthday Windows '95 Reply with quote

Clearly you are feeling much better!

I have a Zalman Z11 case which I like - http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=476 Worth checking out!

Sponsor
MrBlack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:04 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Happy Birthday Windows '95 Reply with quote

You see mate this is what I mean and im not slating your case, different strokes for different folks... but to me that just won't do, what's with the millions of angles? I just cant bring myself to like 90% of what I see on the market these days...

My case was about £300 15 years ago and still looks like new, its exactly like this one:

To me that is a classy case made only of the best materials. That and you construct the pc outside of the case and then slide the motherboard tray in... What ever happened to that design. Why after several years of looking can I not find a case i like Sad
Darrenbf

blank.png

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:42 am Post subject: No icon Re: Happy Birthday Windows '95 Reply with quote

Not offended mate! It would be boring if we all went for the same thing. I Chose my case based on size required, price and availability - simply put that was one of two available in the shop when I picked up the new board / CPU / SSD etc. I wasn't going to buy a new case but thought what the hell!!

Do any of these take your fancy? http://uk.complex.com/pop-culture/2012/08/20-ridiculous-custom-computer-cases/

SLEDGE_HAMMER

Reputation: 36.9Reputation: 36.9Reputation: 36.9Reputation: 36.9
uk.png

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:22 am Post subject: No icon Re: Happy Birthday Windows '95 Reply with quote

Here's the first case I ever bought, back in 2004 - still in use as our downstairs computer (different guts of course)

With integral floppy disc drive slot. Even Mr. Black's £300 one doesn't have one of those.

£9.99 with a 350W power supply. Bargain!

Edit; That's a fabulous list of weird cases there, Darren! That steampunk one (#5) is a real work of art.

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing"
Sponsor
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://www.thegrumpyoldgits.co.uk Forum Index ->  General Chat All times are UTC
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: