Stories Archive
    Recommend Us
    Feedback
    FAQ
    Docs
    ShoutBox2
Shoutbox   

Shout History
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
http://www.thegrumpyoldgits.co.uk Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Kerching..... News and Events Darrenbf 1 Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:10 pm
SLEDGE_HAMMER View latest post
FIFA gamer signed by Wolfsburg Other Games SLEDGE_HAMMER 0 Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:31 am
Lemmy in a milk advert Bored? Fun Links! SLEDGE_HAMMER 0 Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:52 pm
Merry Christmas ToGs! General Chat SLEDGE_HAMMER 5 Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:11 am
Blunt View latest post
Dick of the Week Bored? Fun Links! SLEDGE_HAMMER 18 Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:38 pm
MrBlack View latest post
Branching out General Chat Grekk 8 Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:25 pm
ToGDMB View latest post

Server Tickrate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    http://www.thegrumpyoldgits.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigfry

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:35 pm Post subject: No icon Server Tickrate Reply with quote

When the server is full the tickrate goes all over the shop sometimes....Variance was up to 3.5 for a good 2 mins on Office just now.....this makes it unplayable imo....is there anything that can be done about this?

Gerry

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:48 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Server Tickrate Reply with quote

Save money and reduce server size Razz

I speak my mind.
Love me or Hate me - It's up to you Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit member's Facebook: http://facebook.com/Gerardy
bigfry

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:45 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Server Tickrate Reply with quote

ites even worse now....variance up to 8 :S

Sponsor
ToGDMB

votes: 1
england.png

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:03 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Server Tickrate Reply with quote

bigfry wrote (View Post):
When the server is full the tickrate goes all over the shop sometimes....Variance was up to 3.5 for a good 2 mins on Office just now.....this makes it unplayable imo....is there anything that can be done about this?

What do you mean, "unplayable"  do you have problems?    What sort of problems?

I don't think a 64 tickrate server would have enough grunt for us now.  We seem to have outgrown our romper suit.  Perhaps we need another server or a bigger server.  I don't want to go as far as a rush server...because of everyone's efforts and forum contributions we seem to be victims of our own popularity.  Awesome.

What's your views on the best way forward?

DMB

Last edited by ToGDMB on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
bigfry

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:03 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Server Tickrate Reply with quote

Problems like pressing weapon switch and nothing happens....its missing button presses....some people seem to be coping ok but I dont know how! What about a 102 tik....is that an option? I've heard before that it works better with the engine than 128...or as Gerry says trim the number of slots....but it seems to me if you/we are paying for a 128 tik server...thats not what we are getting....other community servers seem to run fine on 128 with full teams...maybe this is just a temp problem...but I've noticed it here occasionally before....but nothing to the extant of tonight.

ToGDMB

england.png

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:21 am Post subject: No icon Re: Server Tickrate Reply with quote

I'm not much help on this issue because my pc plays up with CSGO.  Several times per session I have to restart the game because my fps drops to about 10.   Tonight it seems to be better after I validated the local files.

All I can suggest at this time is stick with it and if the problem persists we'll try to do something about it.  Reminds me of the famous line from the  "Jaws" movie. "We'll gonna need a bigger boat"

If any other forum reader has a problem with the Casual server, please give us your views.  We've had a pretty torrid time with comms failures, server "stopped" status and other issues.  Hopefully, this will improve.

DMB
Sponsor
Gerry

blank.png

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:42 am Post subject: No icon Re: Server Tickrate Reply with quote

Sounds like server provider issues if anything.

Perhaps a better hosting server would help things?

I speak my mind.
Love me or Hate me - It's up to you Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit member's Facebook: http://facebook.com/Gerardy
Smoggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

blank.png

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:50 am Post subject: No icon Re: Server Tickrate Reply with quote

To be fair, we have over the last 10yrs of running servers, found that our current provider has been top drawer.

bigfry

blank.png

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:49 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Server Tickrate Reply with quote

Tickrate has been v bad again lately.

Sponsor
ToGDMB

england.png

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:21 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Server Tickrate Reply with quote

It's a known problem with Valve 128 tick rate servers with 32 players.  There is no Valve support for 128 tick rate servers.  That's why Valve official servers are 64 tick 5v5 match making servers.

If you want more details, have a look at these two threads.

Xeon Based Servers

Steam Update 23/1/2014

Also note that a Port-A-Potty has been removed from back of B on Cobblestone.....there's nowhere left to hide.....

The workaround for us is to restrict the number of server places to 28, which I will do soon....but first I need to activate reserved slots for paying members who occasionally donate..  It has come to a point where paying members cannot join due to a full server and clearly this situation cannot persist.  Perhaps we need a third server....

DMB
bigfry

blank.png

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:53 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Server Tickrate Reply with quote

TBF...the game is desgined for 5v5 so its no surprise it starts behaving odly at 16v16.

All fair and salient points.

The DM server is still hardly populated....perhaps a custom DM mod would improve this?

Smoggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

blank.png

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:42 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Server Tickrate Reply with quote

Why have valve designed the game for 5v5?  All the maps quite easily accomodate 16v16 or more as per css etc.

Why limit these maps to 5v5?  Its ridiculous.  PLus cant use custom maps!!!  They really need to give their heads a shake.

Sponsor
bigfry

blank.png

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:51 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Server Tickrate Reply with quote

5v5 games are the best tho....16v16 takes away what makes CS imo...tbf they have completely rejuvinated a dying competetive PC FPS scene with the release of GO....which can only be a good thing.

ToGDMB

england.png

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:30 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Server Tickrate Reply with quote

It is odd that several large (rush) type CSGO servers exist with 40 or even 42 places. You can see these in the main CSGO server browser. Perhaps they are 64 tick?

It is also odd that just a few servers are running Workshop maps...like the dMw  public Competitive server.

DMB
bigfry

blank.png

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:28 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Server Tickrate Reply with quote

Iv'e played in plenty of massive 128 tik servers that dont seem to have this problem...but i dont know enough to say....all im looking at is net_graph and how it feels to play.

Sponsor
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://www.thegrumpyoldgits.co.uk Forum Index ->  General Chat All times are UTC
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: