Stories Archive
    Recommend Us
    Feedback
    FAQ
    Docs
    ShoutBox2
Shoutbox   

Shout History
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
http://www.thegrumpyoldgits.co.uk Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Kerching..... News and Events Darrenbf 1 Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:10 pm
SLEDGE_HAMMER View latest post
FIFA gamer signed by Wolfsburg Other Games SLEDGE_HAMMER 0 Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:31 am
Lemmy in a milk advert Bored? Fun Links! SLEDGE_HAMMER 0 Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:52 pm
Merry Christmas ToGs! General Chat SLEDGE_HAMMER 5 Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:11 am
Blunt View latest post
Dick of the Week Bored? Fun Links! SLEDGE_HAMMER 18 Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:38 pm
MrBlack View latest post
Branching out General Chat Grekk 8 Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:25 pm
ToGDMB View latest post

Porsche Restoration Thread - On Request from Smog.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    http://www.thegrumpyoldgits.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBlack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:49 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Porsche Restoration Thread - On Request from Smog. Reply with quote

ToGDMB wrote (View Post):
MrBlack wrote (View Post):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnE4XCtuuzE

It appears I have no idea how to embed youtube vids on this here forum so here is the link from above.

You have to click on the icon with the globe and chain links.  Shall I edit it for you?

Did you change/check/service the injectors? Oh, wait ..throttle body...

Good article btw, I hope Porky Pig flies soon :)

DMB

Sorted that post thanks buddy, there is a youtube button, happy days!

As for the car, she doesn't have injectors, Porsche didn't use direct fuel injection in their cars until the 997.2 where they uprated the engine with DFI. These units are far less prone to problems than the engine in my car. The 996 turbo, and all GT and RS cars run a different engine still a 6 pot flat boxer engine but are the more far more robust (some say bullet proff) mezger lumps.

I do have new plugs but have kept the original coil packs. I may change these as well but for the sake of the MOT I won't bother.
Darrenbf

votes: 1
blank.png

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:19 am Post subject: No icon Re: Porsche Restoration Thread - On Request from Smog. Reply with quote

Nice work - I've dabbled a bit with cars in the past but not to the degree that you've gone to. I'm looking forward to seeing it in prime condition.

Does anyone else think this should be the ToG pool car..........  Laughing

Away put your weapon, or I will help you not
ToGDMB

votes: 1
england.png

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:27 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Porsche Restoration Thread - On Request from Smog. Reply with quote

Yep, deffo a ToG pool car.  If the engine is a bit noisy, just turn up the radio.....that's what I used to do........Smile  I might ask to borrow it for a trip to Blackpool.......for the ToG meet!    I must remember to pack a spare liver.

DMB
Sponsor
MooMoo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:30 am Post subject: No icon Re: Porsche Restoration Thread - On Request from Smog. Reply with quote

Man after my own heart, I see!  Ignore Cold; how can you not love cars?

I'm looking for an older play thing at the moment, and a Porsche 993 Carrera C2S Wide Body is currently in the lead… just need to find a good one.

I'm also fortunate enough to have a collection of a few "weekend" cars, one of which I predominately use for track days and such.

Can't work out how to upload photos or I would!

Keep up the good work.
MrBlack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:05 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Porsche Restoration Thread - On Request from Smog. Reply with quote

MooMoo wrote (View Post):
Man after my own heart, I see!  Ignore Cold; how can you not love cars?

I'm looking for an older play thing at the moment, and a Porsche 993 Carrera C2S Wide Body is currently in the lead… just need to find a good one.

I'm also fortunate enough to have a collection of a few "weekend" cars, one of which I predominately use for track days and such.

Can't work out how to upload photos or I would!

Keep up the good work.

I almost bought a narrow body 993 when I bought the 996! Awesome cars, I really do like them. Back then you could pick up a decent ish one for 15k, now that same car would be worth somewhere in the region of 30k. You can't go far wrong with that if they continue to appreciate like they are. Very Happy
porkspine

uk.png

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:36 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Porsche Restoration Thread - On Request from Smog. Reply with quote

Sweet jeesus, this thread only reinforces to me why I am thankful every day to be a company car owner.

Kudos sir, you've certainly a shit-load more patience than I when it comes to all things cars. I love them like you wouldn't believe but sod having to fix them myself!

8=====D - -- -

Sponsor
MrBlack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:51 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Porsche Restoration Thread - On Request from Smog. Reply with quote

And so we begin in earnest with part three, it's going to be a big one so you might want to grab your preferred beverage before you start reading, if you are ready to go then let's crack on... have you ever wondered what it takes to make your alloys look beautiful again? well here is my quick fast, or not so quick fast solution to my battered wheel problems. I was going to get this done by a pro for about £300 for all four but ended up spending just a few quid in paints and fillers, well I say a few quid it was just about £40.

I gathered that If I mess them up then I am happy to get them done but I am trying to do more with the car and they need doing even if I plan on getting a second set so I thought why not give it a go. First off I went out and got all the bits I needed some of which I already had. Everything I am using is in this picture apart from the primers that I am using.

Basically what I have is different grades of wet and dry from 80 grit right up to 2000 grit, filler primer, silver wheel paint, 2k clear, BodyAlu 2 part alloy filler, tack cloths and some mixing trays and applicators.

I started taking some pictures on the second wheel but the first one was far worse with damage almost all around  the rim, either way i'll get going with a few pics.

This is the second wheel as it came off the car:

You can see some pretty nasty damage on the edge of the rim.

First of all a good degrease and a wash, all you need here is some gunk and some warm water:

Mrs was away so I bought the wheel indoors for a bit of wet sanding:

here is the worst of the damage once sanded down a little:

Next up I needed to mix up the alloy filler, not sure on the quantity of hardener needed as all the instructions are in foreign so about this much seemed to go off pretty quickly:

Next up I applied the filler to the nasty areas trying to build back up the profile of the wheel, this is much harder than it looks, I am sure there is a trick to it, probably in how much hardener vs compound but this is what I ended up with:

After a quick sand back with 500 and working my way up to 1500, making sure to keep everything nice and wet:

You can see that there is still some raised areas so I decided to give the rest of the wheel a good key and go for a second lighter layer of the filler, sanding back again to give a nice smooth finish to touch:

And this is the two wheels I had prepped ready for primer:

Next up I masked up the wheel ready for a coat of filler primer which I laid down in the back garden just as we were beginning to lose light outside, here is the finish of the primer on the first wheel, the worst of the 4 on my car:

And with the masking removed:

I am was really happy that the profile of the rim, all seems good again and is nice and smooth, I know the top coat is where it all matters so I sanded back some of the filler primer with 2000 grit to get out any tiny imperfections before thinking about putting my silver top coat on.

With the weather over that week being really grim and with the mrs due back I didn't think I was going to be able to put a top coat down. Anyway mrs gets home and conversation goes something like this:

Mrs: What's up with you?
me: Raining so it means I can't paint my wheels
Mrs: Why don't you do it in the garage?
Me: Garage has the car in it and its got no wheels on.
Mrs: Isn't there somewhere else you can paint?

So because we have only recently moved into this place and so far I have only managed to rip out and replace 3 rooms we have plenty of space that is being used for storage and decorating gear. The downstairs of the house has 3 reception rooms one of which is an extension off of the back of the garage that has become my office/man cave. and is yet to be touched in terms of decorating. It has decent ventilation and a door to the back garden and can be sealed off from the rest of the property. The mess in question:

Cover up anything that you care about and tape the door up, put cats upstairs and open windows:

Clear out a corner and craft a makeshift spray booth from black bags and masking tape. Professional job I know!

With the decision made it was time for a bit more prep on the wheel, again hitting the filler primer with 1500 and 2000 grit, you can see where I have gone right back where some of the worst damage was on this wheel:

Tabby Cat assessing the structural rigidity of the wheels:

Gandi Cat just checking the finish is up to scratch and giving his seal of approval:

With the prep done it was time to mask up ready for the makeshift booth:

Now it was time to give it a go with the top coat and see what we get, the first dust coat looked good but as I started putting a bit more colour down 20 mins later on the second coat, the nozzel started spitting a little and made a bit of a mess of the rim.

Normally it is at this point I end up getting annoyed and making it worse, but this time the second I noticed it I stopped, waited for it to dry for a few hours and knocked the coat back a little bit with 2000 grit. While I was doing this I swapped the nozzel from another can and left the first in thinners to soak.

This is a picture of the paint and some of the problems:

After a lot of patience, a lot of time with wet and dry and my mind still intact (just):

I am happy with that. Nasty marks all gone and a nice even finish. Now i needed to wait for the next step, wait for a nice day more than 24 hours from the time of painting to lay down the 2k clear on them. To this point it had taken about 4 hours prep on each wheel then another couple putting right my mess when I ruined it.
Here are a couple more pics of what the wheel looked like in its top coat with the masking removed.

About a week later I decided I would work on the car. The method I decided to use was to mask up, give it a quick dust over with with silver again and then wait 15 mins and lay down a dust layer of clear, wait another 10 mins and then lay over a thicker clear followed by another thinner coat after another 10 mins or so.

Here is the wheel outside once painted:

And the wheel out of its masking and back indoors:

Not a bad job so far, but still not quite there, it just needed knocking back ever so slightly with the 2000 grit before hitting it hard with the G3 compounds.

End result:

Happy days, many a bucks saved and my wheels look good again with none of that nasty kerbing. So what's left you might be thinking? Well in the next parts I am going to show you all how somebody who has already spent enough goes about fixing a bumper and fails, but in doing so still manages to save a good few quid. Then I'll show you how I went about fitting all these shiny new parts:

Edit: Just noticed that there are loads of html errors in the post again. No idea why but the forum doesn't like the tags that postimage has created, this happened last time and I went back over it and cleaned it up, this has taken a while to write so I will get to cleaning up the tags later.
cold

votes: 2
uk.png

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:29 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Porsche Restoration Thread - On Request from Smog. Reply with quote

moral of the story.....get some glasses and stop kerbing it

...and why not?
MrBlack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:12 am Post subject: No icon Re: Porsche Restoration Thread - On Request from Smog. Reply with quote

cold wrote (View Post):
moral of the story.....get some glasses and stop kerbing it

Wasn't me boss, honest! I recon it was like that when I bought it!
Sponsor
MrBlack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:04 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Porsche Restoration Thread - On Request from Smog. Reply with quote

So here we go again, following a productive weekend I thought I would put a little more up on the car. So you saw the pictures with the new bits and first up it was time to tackle the water pump and the thermostat & drive belt, I thought the drive belt was a no brainer as it has to come off to access the other parts of the engine. Little did I know how much of a pain this job would end up being.

First off I removed the air intake (again) to give me access, put a big ass socket on the tensioner pully and whipped off the belt. Jobs a goodun, I then inspected the water pump and this is where I hit my first problem, clearance again is an issue. There is a rear engine support beam that holds on the exhaust and keeps the engine in the car at the back blocking its way. Quite simply this needs to be moved for clearance, why is it every job turns out like this?... But I have a plan, if I jack up the engine in situ and release the pressure off of the mounts, remove some exhaust brackets a few support plates and loosen off the mount I should be able to push the mount out of the way for that 3cm clearance that I need. Sure enough lost of fiddling and success we have clearance.

From above with the belt off:

Parts removed:

The two thermostats, old one opens at 83 degrees and the new one 71, that should bring down the load temp of the car nicely.

All fitted up, copper grease applied, happy days.

That was last week. This time I was working on the front bumper, I took it off the car, bought some touch up paint and proceeded to ruin it even more. I am not going to lie, I spent so much time working in the touch up that I burned through clear coat all over the place. It's the next bit that surprised me, I decided that I was going to rub the bumper down as the paint job wasn't great anyway, then it was time to look for a body shop.

A few calls later I find a body shop 5 minutes around the corner, so glad I found this place as a few pictures over whatsapp, and a couple of phone calls and they asked me to drop the bumper in. It's a small place around the corner with just two blokes working. I couldn't quite believe my ears when the gents said they had a 4 weeks waiting list but didn't mind fitting in a cash job as I took the bumper off the car already.

I was even more surprised when he told me the price, If it needed primer then £90 and if not £60, and it would be ready by the weekend. This was on Tuesday afternoon. So I left the bumper there and worked the week, called the guy on Friday but couldn't get in to pick it up during working hours, he said just call him 10 minutes before I wanted to pick it up and he would meet me to hand it over. So at 8pm last night I went down and picked it up, handed the fella £100 and a box of beer for meeting me out of hours. The result is much better than I expected, I am a very happy man indeed. Here are a few pictures Smile

After I rubbed down the damage:

After some professionals got their hands on it:

I was so impressed that I am going to take the car there for a couple of other little bits when it's got it's MOT. I remember paying £200 for a front bumper years ago so thought that this was an absolute bargain.

So it's all going really well, I jump in the car start her up and its then I worked out that a sensor on the underside of the coolant bottle was broken as the coolant level indicator was flashing away like a bastad, jesus, here we go again, getting the coolant bottle out is a royal pain in the ass without dropping the engine but it is possible, so out with the fuel filter again and off with all the hoses, much jiggery pokery later she was all back together with a replacement sourced for only £15 from somebody who had bought one for his 997 in error.

What happened next is yet another one of my epic failures, with it all back together I decided to remove the pressure release valve from the top of the coolant tank to give it a quick clean and proceeded  to break a seal, looked online and you can't buy a new seal so I need the entire pressure release mechanism, another £80 later and it should be here tomorrow.  So where are we? It's got to be close surely, well it is, my deadline for the MOT is the 6th and as she stands at the moment it is almost ready. Just some finishing touches this week. Here are a few more pictures of this weeks journey...

Car outside getting some final spannering before re-assebley:

That big rear end is all back together:

Front bumper back on, I still need to install the rubber seals, that's why it looks like a massive panel gap that you can see through at the front.

Notice the indicator is hanging off, yep that's another broken part right there, a plastic bracket broken, but this I will repair with some plastic weld and my 3doodler.

So that's pretty much it, just a few finishing touches now, get in the car turn it on, go to turn on the head unit and nothing, dead, I suspect broken, check all the fuses, pull it out and check the wiring... nothing, no life, nada. Sad

Truth be told I was never happy with it anyway, the sound quality was never up to scratch and it was a pretty dated interface, so shove all that back in there.

Which brings me to today, after work I decided to take a trip into halfords to see what was available and came home with this:

So that's tomorrow's or this weekends project.
cold

votes: 2
uk.png

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:29 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Porsche Restoration Thread - On Request from Smog. Reply with quote

u lot are benders

...and why not?
SLEDGE_HAMMER

Reputation: 36.9Reputation: 36.9Reputation: 36.9Reputation: 36.9
uk.png

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:09 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Porsche Restoration Thread - On Request from Smog. Reply with quote

Speaking of bends, this vid of a notorious bend on the Nurburgring is worth a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwc54G2Ur8

I note with interest that none of the Porsches roll over  Very Happy

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing"
Sponsor
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://www.thegrumpyoldgits.co.uk Forum Index ->  General Chat All times are UTC
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: