Stories Archive
    Recommend Us
    Feedback
    FAQ
    Docs
    ShoutBox2
Shoutbox   

Shout History
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
http://www.thegrumpyoldgits.co.uk Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Kerching..... News and Events Darrenbf 1 Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:10 pm
SLEDGE_HAMMER View latest post
FIFA gamer signed by Wolfsburg Other Games SLEDGE_HAMMER 0 Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:31 am
Lemmy in a milk advert Bored? Fun Links! SLEDGE_HAMMER 0 Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:52 pm
Merry Christmas ToGs! General Chat SLEDGE_HAMMER 5 Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:11 am
Blunt View latest post
Dick of the Week Bored? Fun Links! SLEDGE_HAMMER 18 Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:38 pm
MrBlack View latest post
Branching out General Chat Grekk 8 Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:25 pm
ToGDMB View latest post

Which Game?

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    http://www.thegrumpyoldgits.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:52 pm Post subject: No icon Which Game? Reply with quote

Right - bearing in mind I'm only getting perhaps 1 or 2 evenings per week where I can get online and spend an hour or two playing I'd rather do it with vague acquaintances or if not then you lot!

Which game is best for me to have a proper look at? I have CSGO (assumed out of favour but I still like the odd game), B2 (more of a single player game but Co-op is a laugh but we're all quite high levels now so add-ons only?), NS2 (didn't grab me when I played it but I need to give it a proper go) and ARMA/Day Z (only tried it once or twice - seemed pretty standard FPS military type game but the addition of zombies does tweak my interest!)

Anyway its great we've now got a multi-game server as it was apparent that CSGO wasn't going to support us alone but who is playing what and are we attracting any new blood to the forums etc?
porkspine

uk.png

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:22 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Which Game? Reply with quote

Well my quick 2 pence worth is as follows.

CS:Go, I bought and have played a couple of times, literally. I will revisit it at some point and will have the odd games and will probably drift back there soon at some point given my goldfish like attention span sometimes, however, NS2 is a game and a half once you get into it. I did get into NS1 many moons ago and I know how good the game is once you get the gameplay under your belt and the way you can work as a team with the right people lifts it to a level that CS can't really touch with its quick fire rounds.
This leads me neatly on to the lengths of games in NS2. Sometimes they are short and sweet, other times they are epic length and every flavour inbetween, If you have a good server with good footfall you can play as long as you wish without great detriment to the team and still leave with a great feeling of satisfaction.
Horses for courses of course but for me, NS2 is a game I've been waiting for for a long time to make an appearance. There are so many facets and ways to play it that you can't get bored and there is a ton to go at.

The other point, and correct me if I'm wrong or speaking out of turn, is that CS:Go wasn't/isn't attracting a particularly strong foot fall for the server/forums. This is a shame but you have to evolve to stay in the game so to speak. NS2 and the other games are a way to diversify and get back to the ToG days of yore and legend, however, people are going to have to put some time in to get the best out of it and to nurture that sense of community from the old guard.

Up to you where you focus your time and efforts fella. Do/play what makes you happy and you enjoy in what is evidently precious gaming opportunities for you but I would say beyond a shadow of a doubt that NS2 is a great place to focus your efforts for a change of tack and it's not that hard to get straight in there and have a laugh whilst you figure out along the way what's going on. Just get on the mic and ask questions and people will assist you on any rookie server. Learning the commander role in itself for either side is a game in itself and one of a completely different feel from all of the other choices of ways to play you have playing as Frontiersman or further both ways to play and different classes you have available as aliens.

As for the new blood, it will take time to attract people over. We're in the very early stages of establishing the ToG brand in the NS2 arena but already in the short time we've had the servers up, almost every time I've been on I've spoken to someone who remembers or knows of the GoG/ToG servers from CS/TF2 etc and we've already got a number of players coming back to play on what is a very high quality server in a relatively small pool of NS2 servers out there. We'll get them, it's just a matter of patience and trying to remember to actively enlist people in game over the mic, in between laughing our nadgers off  Smile

8=====D - -- -

mikeyking

uk.png

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:51 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Which Game? Reply with quote

Agree that NS2 is more popular at the moment but CSGO is having a come back. Re: footfall on the forum, um, CSGO is ahead of NS2 for attracting players but I'm sure Porks is going to sort that out.
Sponsor
porkspine

uk.png

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:16 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Which Game? Reply with quote

We're gonna give it a try : )

8=====D - -- -

Ataraxia

Reputation: 6.9Reputation: 6.9Reputation: 6.9Reputation: 6.9Reputation: 6.9Reputation: 6.9
uk.png

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:25 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Which Game? Reply with quote

If you already have CSGO you should play that, unless you really want to dedicate 3-4 weeks to learn just what's going on in NS2 if you can only play a couple of times a week.

the FPS part is simple enough, but you have to be aware of what's going on resource/tech wise as well as just killing things and that's before you try commanding. It's a great game but it really takes time investment to pay off.

I have CSS and TF2 also but I haven't played them for a good while, and I don't have CSGO, not sure about shelling out for a shinier de_dust2 !

edit:

I'm just going to add, I think a private DayZ hive (when it comes out) would be really good for this style of play, there can be a safe (ish) haven with supplies on an enormous map, you could log on once a week and go do some shenanigans
Darrenbf

votes: 1
blank.png

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:37 pm Post subject: Note Re: Which Game? Reply with quote

I play both CSGO and NS2. I agree with porks that NS2 has far more gamplay / strategy / teamwork. That said, you can just go around shooting things (you wont get too far like that) but when you act as part of a team it really gets interesting. I've had some great games where you think you're buggered only to pull it out of the bag and win! Lets be real, my level of play is pretty low (i'm working on that!) but I really enjoy the game. Jonna advised me to persevere (as after a couple of goes not being able to kill anything i wondered if it was worth it) and it's paying off. It would be really cool to one day have all the Tog's playing on one team kicking the arse out of the other side!!

I still play CSGO but was getting fed up playing with bots, so if the footfall increases so will my game time.
Sponsor
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://www.thegrumpyoldgits.co.uk Forum Index ->  General Chat All times are UTC
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: