Stories Archive
    Recommend Us
    Feedback
    FAQ
    Docs
    ShoutBox2
Shoutbox   

Shout History
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
http://www.thegrumpyoldgits.co.uk Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Kerching..... News and Events Darrenbf 1 Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:10 pm
SLEDGE_HAMMER View latest post
FIFA gamer signed by Wolfsburg Other Games SLEDGE_HAMMER 0 Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:31 am
Lemmy in a milk advert Bored? Fun Links! SLEDGE_HAMMER 0 Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:52 pm
Merry Christmas ToGs! General Chat SLEDGE_HAMMER 5 Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:11 am
Blunt View latest post
Dick of the Week Bored? Fun Links! SLEDGE_HAMMER 18 Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:38 pm
MrBlack View latest post
Branching out General Chat Grekk 8 Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:25 pm
ToGDMB View latest post

Virgin media?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    http://www.thegrumpyoldgits.co.uk Forum Index -> Tech Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeyking

uk.png

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:06 pm Post subject: No icon Virgin media? Reply with quote

Having been with BT for many many years and been happy with their service... moved into the new house a couple of years ago, got a few drops from the BB but then upgraded to infinity and then it went all wrong. Loads of drop outs, loads of engineers and rewiring etc. Still the same.

Thinking of changing to Virgin - basically moving:

- Broadband to the 120Mb service
- TV (did have sky sports but dropping that that)
- Phone
- Mobile phones x 2 to their mobile service

All in all it'll save me about £50 per month. So, anyone got Virgin and want to say if it's a good move or not?
ToGDMB

votes: 1
england.png

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:52 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Virgin media? Reply with quote

Sorry, no info on Virgin, but the 120 megabits/sec  speed interested me.  Have you got FTTP or FTTC?  The best I can get is 50 megabits/sec  speed from FTTC.

DMB

Last edited by ToGDMB on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Smoggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:20 am Post subject: No icon Re: Virgin media? Reply with quote

I've had Virgin since 1998, through its various guises, comcast then Ntl then Virgin

And I can safely say I would never go back to copper wire and Sky.

I tried Sky once for the TV, was keen on the fact you pay when your box breaks.

You will find a big difference in the cable broadband, I think I have only ever had two occasions where the Broadband been down.

As Teesside is almost 100% cabled, it amuses me why people round here still choose BT and SKy

Virgin do decent deals.  I get a Tivo box, a HD+ box and a normal box, SkyMovies and TV XL, Broadband XXL (120mb), Ultd calls, talk international for £120 a month.

Sponsor
Darrenbf

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:54 am Post subject: Note Re: Virgin media? Reply with quote

Funny you mention the drop outs! Recently been having a few on the BT line with Sky Broadband. Had NTL (predecessor to Virgin) in the previous gaff. Had some issues, usually when one of their f-wit engineers opens a cabinet and buggers the connections setting up a new customer. Apart from that no real issues.
Long and short of it is they all provide a shit service at some point!

Blimey Smoggy £120 a month, you is well rich, innit!  Laughing
mikeyking

uk.png

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:08 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Virgin media? Reply with quote

Cheers folks - just ordered Virgin Media 100Mb Broadband, TV & Phone all for £43 a month (bit of a work deal going on there!).   All that's left is to move over my BT Mobile phones now to Virgin (£17 for two) and I'm sorted!

Installation on 19th Feb, now having a bit of a hoo har with BT to get out of the contract (given they haven't provided me with a stable broadband service since Infinity was installed)
porkspine

uk.png

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:50 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Virgin media? Reply with quote

Jonner and I AM DEAD are longish time users of Branson's digital sperm delivery service. I believe they are still with his loins and therefore happy. I actually heard their penises twitch from across the way when they first heard about 120Mb possibilities in our area.

8=====D - -- -

Sponsor
porkspine

uk.png

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:50 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Virgin media? Reply with quote

Jonner and I AM DEAD are longish time users of Branson's digital sperm delivery service. I believe they are still with his loins and therefore happy. I actually heard their penises twitch from across the way when they first heard about 120Mb possibilities in our area.

8=====D - -- -

Ataraxia

Reputation: 6.9Reputation: 6.9Reputation: 6.9Reputation: 6.9Reputation: 6.9Reputation: 6.9
uk.png

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:56 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Virgin media? Reply with quote

The virgin supehub is a piece of crap though, some rebadged netgear OEM shovelware. Put it into passthrough mode and use your own router instead
Smoggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:13 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Virgin media? Reply with quote

Ataraxia wrote (View Post):
The virgin supehub is a piece of crap though, some rebadged netgear OEM shovelware. Put it into passthrough mode and use your own router instead

Superhub works fine for our 3 laptops and phones.  I just hard wire my desktop pc into the superhub.  I hate wireless for my main pc.

Sponsor
mikeyking

uk.png

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:17 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Virgin media? Reply with quote

Hmm - wiill be interesting - I've got about 10-15 wireless devices around the house...

So, Sky cancelled (although the helpdesk agent told me I couldn't cancel unless I told them how much I was paying for my new deal and how many people were in my house).  After much merriment she put the phone down on me (well, I said I had 35 people living in the house).  She refused to cancel my subscription unless I gave her all that info!! Complaint sent in!

Just figured out how to get the footy live from Egypt across the net for a very small amount as well so no need for Sky Sports. Result!
Smoggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:11 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Virgin media? Reply with quote

I use the wifes grans SkyGo for my SkySports

mikeyking

uk.png

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:13 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Virgin media? Reply with quote

Smoggy wrote (View Post):
I use the wifes grans SkyGo for my SkySports

Ah, but they only show a selected game(s) each week.  I can get any BPL game at any time (including 3pm Saturday kick offs).  All in English too Smile
Sponsor
Darrenbf

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:57 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Virgin media? Reply with quote

Mikey, you sure about the Egyptian football package? It is English football and not cameltoe fc vs sheikh your nutsac city?  Laughing
Smoggy
Site Admin
Site Admin

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:58 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Virgin media? Reply with quote

He'll be hoping Mido signs for Soton next.

mikeyking

uk.png

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:29 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Virgin media? Reply with quote

Darrenbf wrote (View Post):
Mikey, you sure about the Egyptian football package? It is English football and not cameltoe fc vs sheikh your nutsac city?  Laughing

Surprised you know which teams are in the Premiership mate Smile
Sponsor
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://www.thegrumpyoldgits.co.uk Forum Index ->  Tech Help All times are UTC
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: